HALF DRUGSTORE | HALF HIGH END MAKEUP

12:48 PM

Hey guys! Today I bring you a fun video on how I did a half high end half drugstore makeup look. I of course put some products side by side that I think are somewhat similar to each other, so keep on reading to see my thoughts on each makeup product versus the other!



Starting off with primer,  the Nivea Aftershave Balm and the Marc Jacobs Coconut Primer are the two I compared here. As I state in the video, to me, the obvious winner is the Nivea Men because of it's low price point (around $5 versus around $50) and the way it keeps my makeup looking fresh all day. I haven't seen a huge benefit to the MJ primer yet, other than it's hydration. 

For foundation, I would usually say the KohGenDo wins by a mile, but for some reason, the Maybelline Matte + Poreless is blowing me away lately! I like the fact that it has a very smooth finish like the Aqua foundation, but it has a lot more coverage and you need a lot less of it to make your skin look amazing. Also, you can't beat the price! The Aqua foundation will set you back $62 while you can get the Maybelline for around $8. 

The battle between the Maybelline Better Skin concealer and the Urban Decay concealer is a tough one. I really love both of them, however I do find that the Better Skin concealer blends out a bit easier for me. BUT I will say that the Urban Decay does not crease and leaves my under eyes looking bright. So if you like a full coverage creaseless concealer that takes a little more work to blend, the UD is the winner. 

The setting powders I used here is no contest for me, and the NARS Pressed Powder wins. It's a lightweight, finely milled powder that leaves the undereyes looking less cakey and more airbrushed. The Revlon powder can look a bit heavy and chalky especially if you have a deeper skin tone. 

When it comes to bronzer, you may be surprised that I don't choose the Hourglass as my first choice. It is very pigmented, almost to a fault, and if you make the mistake of using too much, I find it's hard to blend out. Although the Hourglass bronzer was once one of my top faves, I have put it to the side for a more blendable formula like the Wet N Wild Ticket to Brazil bronzer. 

With blush, I like both the MAC Dainty and the NYX Summer Peach, however I do find the NYX to be a bit more pigmented.

In highlighting, I really do love a pigmented highlighter that gives a natural looking glow. For me, the Anastasia Beverly Hills highlighters are absolutely gorgeous while the LOREAL Lumi is a bit more chunky and not as flattering on a wide variety of skin tones. 

LOREAL Telescopic versus Tarte Lights Camera Flashes has an easy winner - LOREAL all the way!

When it comes to eyeshadows, I do not think there is a lot from the drugstore that I particularly love. When it comes to more affordable brands, I really love Makeup Geek, Morphe, and Colourpop. But I've never been able to find a palette or eyeshadow singles from the drugstore that blow my mind. 

When it comes to the lip colors I chose, I have to say I am really intrigued by the new Tarte lip paints! In this video, I used Namaste, a pinky-nude with a hint of a neutral undertone. The formula is mousse like and comfortable to wear. The Colourpop liquid lipsticks are much more watery when applied and have a more drying effect on the lips.
Left: High End, Right: Drugstore




xx sara

You Might Also Like

0 comments